Sunday 14 December 2014

3 Keys to School Success and Organization

My son Daniel can be downright brilliant but from the time he started getting homework from elementary school, we have had an issue with organization.
Like me, he is one of those "creative types" who don't necessarily have the easiest time dealing with the structure and expectations of the academic world.

I will never forget the frustration I felt each time he got a zero on a project that he did but "forgot" to hand in to the teacher.
Once his third grade teacher contacted me about the fact that he had not turned in any assignments for over a month! I looked in his backpack, and there were stacks and stacks of completed homework! At conferences I would hear that "Daniel needs help with organization.
" or that lack of organization was hampering his success.
And then the teacher would hand me an agenda as if just having one would solve all of his organization woes.
They did not realize that as an organizationally challenged adult, I did not remember to write in my agenda either! Yipes? Was my child destined to be an underachiever in school just because I was disorganized at home? Daniel is now a rising eighth grader, and while he will probably never be the most organized kid on the block, things are much better.
After years of trial, error, and frustration, I think we have finally found three principles that work: First, if you are an organized person, recognize that what is obvious to you is not necessarily obvious to your child.
Help them to set up a simple system and then practice with them.

Check to see if they are writing down their assignments and make sure they read their agenda each day! Enlist the help of a teacher to check their agenda at school. For Daniel, we have one binder with a folder for each subject.
Assigned work and work in progress goes on the left hand pocket and assignments that are ready to turn in, go on the right pocket.

This really helps with the "I couldn't find it" excuse.

Remember, setting up the system is the easy part. (adsbygoogle = window.

adsbygoogle || []).

push({}); Next, try not to punish you child for his failures in this area. I know that seems counterintuitive but believe me, life is going to hand out enough consequences for lack of organization. You don't need to add to them.
It won't help. A disorganized child needs help and I hate to say it... consistency.

You must check the back pack each and every day and help your child to organize the contents.

The most important and hardest part of helping your child to get organized is to work towards turning organization into a habit.

Habits are extremely powerful and even the least organized person can look organized as long as organizational rituals have become habit. That means you must go through the system each and every day and check. If you are not a wiz at consistency, this can be very difficult but it can be done.
Stick a reminder on your computer.

The earlier you work on this developing these skills, the better.
If I had gone through his agenda and backpack, page by page and folder by folder when Daniel was in the third grade, I probably would not have to do it now. Our daily backpack ritual has been good in other ways too.
Now I get most of the announcements from the school and I find that I get more information about what is going on in Daniel's life. Not because of the increased organization but because while we are rearranging the contents of his folders each day, we talk.
..

.

No comments:

Post a Comment